- Before starting work, measure the room(s) carefully, calculate the area of the target surfaces and buy 10% more material than is theoretically required, with a sufficient supply of the primer, adhesive, pointing compound and impregnant.
- If you need to install corners, purchase 5% more material than you have calculated. If you buy all the material you need at once, you can be sure the tile and joint color will be consistent.
- The variation of colors within a single box is intentional as it adds a natural look to the façade. Take tiles from a few boxes one by one to distribute tile tints evenly.
- Ambient temperature during, and within 48 hours after, the application should stay within the +5oC to +25oC range.
- Because some information may not apply to certain tile types, please read the instruction from the package before proceeding with your work.
- WARNING: STEGU shall not be liable for any consequences of incorrect tile application and all claims involving sizes or colors ‘as laid’ are expressly excluded.
- All the target surfaces should be correctly conditioned. They should be strong enough, uniformly textured, even, dry and free from any loose material, residues of paints, antiadhesive agents and grease.
- Prime the target surface with, for instance, the STEGU PRIMER.
- Draw a BASELINE on the target surface. For solid façade, apply tiles in a closed line around the whole house perimeter. It will be the reference line for the secondary horizontal and vertical lines.
- Start lying the tiles from corners or most prominent places, avoiding forced joints on surfaces that you want to look perfect.
- Start the bonding by applying every second row of tiles:1. Draw horizontal lines on the wall, spaced by 14.4 cm: 2 x tile height + 2 x joint height (10 mm recommended). Rustic: 14.5 cm, Country: 14.7 cm, Loft: 14.4 cm.
2. If the wall is longer than 5 m, mark also vertical control lines spaced by 86 cm: 4 x tile width + 4 x joint width (10 mm recommended). Rustic: 84 cm, Country: 86 cm, Loft: 86 cm.
3. Bond tiles along the line.
- Then, fill the empty rows, observing the horizontal offset vs. the rows above and below. Provide for an at least 10 cm offset to conceal joints.
- You can cut tiles with a diamond disk or a stone-cutting disk.
- Apply the MULTIELASTIK or ELASTIK adhesive by following the instruction provided on the adhesive package.
- Once the adhesive is fully set, (after 14 from tiling the whole façade) apply the joint to grooves between the tiles in accordance with the instruction printed on the joint package. Slightly concave surface of the joint will look best.
- It is best to joint each wall in whole on the same day to ensure that the color is consistent or in the same weather. The joint requires at least 21 days to reach its full strength (see the instruction on the joint package).
- Once done, impregnate the tiles with the STONE CARE for easier tile cleaning in the future. It is best to impregnate the tiles after 14 days from the bonding.